Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Charles W. Morgan : Stepping foremast

Oct. 17. 2013 I got up early because I had a long driving trip ahead. A few weeks ago I had an email from Veronica Lawlor (Dalvero Academy). The email had an information about Charles W. Morgan's stepping foremast event that I could reportage. It wasn't a class but it would be fun and important. Due to it was happening on Thursday, lots people from Dalvero couldn't participate. I was a little concerned about my neck disc because I had to drive two and half hours. However, Oct.15.2013 I made my mind. This was a life time event and if I missed I missed this event forever. This was not any other ship. This was the Charles W. Morgan the last wooden whaling ship in America.

I didn't know what to expect. Only thing I had a chance to do was reading an article from Mystic seaport website ( http://www.mysticseaport.org/event/charles-w-morgan-mast-stepping/ ). The ceremony was started at 10:00am. So I aimed for 9:30am. At that morning I was worried I would be too early because of museum opening time. Later I found that I wasn't early at all. I was late. Yes, I was fashionably late.

Reportage is a general analysis over all event and place through Artist's eyes and hands.

I missed the preparations of stepping mast (event). My fellow artist Susan Buroker left home 4:00am and arrived Mystic 7:00am. I wish I knew I could get in that early. But I didn't and I thought this would be a good lesson for me. Now I know. Next time I won't miss it. :D None the less I missed the preparation it was great and more than I could imagine. I would be very disappointed if I missed this.

I didn't have time to walk around or drink a cup of coffee.  I briefly Hi to my friends (Susan, Despina and Margaret) then I had to start to draw it. It was happening already...

Mystic crews were working on ropes when I arrived there. The mast was placed and ready to be hook to the crane.

9 years old Dylan was waiting for placed the 1941 US silver half dollars under foremast.

 I never saw the crane that close up. It was a little bit scary. I went up to the Morgan.
Omg, It was a huge!
Put down the mast was very delicate thing. It was great team works. I had to say. At that time I wasn't sure I could go down and I had to be careful not to bother mystic crews. They told me I could go downstairs. So I did.  :)
 left and right .... a very delicate work and again great team works......
 They added white stuff around silver coin. I asked a person next to me "what's that?" He said "glue"....
1841 Silver half dollars was placed under mast.
 Coin was Sealed till next restoration....

Mystic crews were making sure the mast was straight.

After Mystic crews took a lunch break, They brought in bricks. The ship looked so good. :D

The Charles W. Morgan has 3 masts. There will 2 more stepping masts and there will be a coin placed under each mast: 1941 U.S. Silver Half-Dollar and 2013 U.S. Silver Dollar.
I hope you enjoy my reportage. Thank you and welcome.

You can see more pictures and stories at below link from Mystic museum and stay tune for next stepping.

No comments:

Post a Comment